Von den Creatures Wiki
Home » Foren » Mitteilungen

Antworten: 42   Aktuellster Beitrag geschrieben von: GreenReaper (22.01.2005 00:24)

Herzlich wilkommen, Gast!
Einloggen / Anmelden
Einstellungen für Gäste

Thema abgeschlossen
Beiträge zu abgeschlossenen Themen sind nicht möglich.

Neuen Beitrag schreiben  Im Forum suchen
  Seiten: 3   [ « 1 2 3 » ]      Zurück zur Themenübersicht  
AW: 100.000 Wörter an den Creatures Wiki! geschrieben am: 11.02.2005 10:10
Antwort
Von: Alien    Beiträge: 4.732 / Registriert: Okt, 2002
Cool!
Oh, and another thing: you might find "old" people there. Was really good to see ... erm..read Masha again!

Re: AW: 100.000 Wörter an den Creatures Wiki! geschrieben am: 11.02.2005 11:49
Antwort
Von: GreenReaper    Beiträge: 77 / Registriert: Jan, 2005
Hehe, yes - I hope Carolyn Horn and I haven't frightened him away with our talk of the "wailing gnashing C2 time" . . .

Oh, and one bit I added to my post on the other forums (it seems this one doesn't have an "edit" button):

At the same time, Creature Labs were developing Origin ( http://creatures.wikicities.com/wiki/Origin ), a system similar in some ways to Active Worlds ( http://creatures.wikicities.com/wiki/Active_Worlds ) but with a real underlying artificial life simulation - in Origin, everythingp was Alife. This system was famously used to model the behaviour of fighter jets for the Ministry of Defense! As for Creatures, work had already begun on putting the inadequacies of the C2 engine to rest with the Creatures Evolution Engine ( http://creatures.wikicities.com/wiki/Creatures_Evolution_Engine ), which ended up being the foundation of all current Creatures games.

Re: Von den Creatures Wiki geschrieben am: 12.02.2005 13:12
Antwort
One thing that the Wikicities adminstration has suggested is that there could be a German version of the Creatures Wiki for people who cannot/prefer not to read English. This might contain both native German content and translated content from the English wiki, and you would be able to link to articles in the English wiki, etc.

Would anyone here be interested in such a thing? If so, let us know, either here or on the Wiki ( http://creatures.wikicities.com/index.php?title=Talk:Creaturesfrance ) and I can get it organized. It would probably require some leadership from here, but I know several of you have already got involved in the English Wiki - would one of you perhaps like to run your own?

[I don't really mind either way - I'm fine with having people from here contribute in English - it's been a big help! - but having a German one would be cool as well. ]

AW: Re: Von den Creatures Wiki geschrieben am: 12.02.2005 13:45
Antwort
Well, the idea sure sounds cool to have a German one. But personnally, I couldn't make it, I wouldn't have enough time to do. I know now HOW time consuming such a task is (and I only wrote a few articles and uploaded a few pictures and it kept me busy almost every evening for one week) and I don't think I'm so consequent in editing posts to keep the whole thing more or less consistent... naahh... I rather prefer to have one creatures wiki.

btw: the English Wikipedia usually is better than the German one. It's simply a matter of how many people speak that language, I think. The less people, the less contributions you can expect.

But as long as someone (!) is still willing to edit articles written in sometimes horrible English... You got my deepest there!

Re: AW: Re: Von den Creatures Wiki geschrieben am: 12.02.2005 13:59
Antwort
Yes, it can be rather time-consuming.

As for horrible English, as long as it is understandable then that is what matters.

AW: Re: AW: Re: Von den Creatures Wiki geschrieben am: 14.02.2005 18:40
Antwort
Von: Mummy    Beiträge: 5.598 / Registriert: Okt, 2002
Da die Creatures Wiki Site so gewachsen ist, und wir es als sinnvoll erachten, dass sie schnell erreicht werden kann, haben wir einen Link vom Forum direkt dorthin gemacht. Ihr findet ihn ganz unten, wo auch der Link zu Creature Labs steht.

GreenReaper and all the other members of the community did great work, we think. So we added a link from our forum to the Creatures Wiki. You can find it at the bottom of the forum.

Es gibt übrigens noch eine solche Seite, die sich Creatures Wikipedia nennt (gibt's schon länger). Haben die was miteinander zu tun, bzw. sind die irgendwie miteinander verlinkt?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatures

Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Von den Creatures Wiki geschrieben am: 14.02.2005 19:10
Antwort
Many to you, Mummy! I hope the people of this forum find it useful.

The link you gave is to the Creatures topic on the main Wikipedia. You can see there is a link to the Creatures Wiki at the bottom of that page. That is the English version - the German version of Wikipedia is here: http://de.wikipedia.org/
and the German version of that article (which is a little out of date) is here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatures_%28Computerspiel%29

The Creatures Wiki uses software (called MediaWiki) that is designed for the Wikipedia project. Also, the same people who run Wikipedia are the people who run Wikicities, who host the Creatures Wiki on their servers. So we are all one part of the same community!

Of course, now the Creatures Wiki is far bigger than that one article could ever be. Have a look at http://www.wikicities.com/wikistats/PlotsPngArticlesTotal.htm - see that red line? That's the Creatures Wiki. Only 100 articles to go until we reach 1000!

Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Von den Creatures Wiki geschrieben am: 15.02.2005 01:57
Antwort
OK, so now they added in Memory Alpha (which has one year's head start ) you need to look at the purple line on the next graph: http://www.zen9361.zen.co.uk/keep/creatureswiki/15-02-2005-articlecount.png

Re: Von den Creatures Wiki geschrieben am: 22.02.2005 03:57
Antwort

Big news - Creatures Wiki has become the first Featured Wikicity! Out of the 134 Wikicities on the site, they chose ours to showcase as an "inspirational" wiki that "reflects well on Wikicities as a whole".

The administrators decided "to feature this one since it has developed a far larger community than WikiMac", so this honour goes to each and every person who contributed to the Wiki. All I can say is . . . GO US!

Just because we've been featured doesn't mean that the wiki is anywhere near complete, though, so if you've not yet tried your hand at editing, get on there and start helping out - hopefully there will always be new stuff to add!

Oh, and next time anyone tells you that the Creatures Community is dead, just show them this . . .

AW: Re: Von den Creatures Wiki geschrieben am: 22.02.2005 19:56
Antwort
Wow! Great news! And congrats!
And no, the Creatures Community isn't dead! "Old" people might drop out but new ones are coming in and as every community, it's always a bit "shifting", but dead? Nooooo way! And we do everything to keep it that way, I'd say!

AW: Re: Von den Creatures Wiki geschrieben am: 24.02.2005 15:24
Antwort
Von: Druetze    Beiträge: 857 / Registriert: Okt, 2003
Congratulations on this success, even if I'm a bit late. I haven't been here for a while and I'm really glad to hear (or read ) that there are still people who keep the community alive. Well, I didn't understand everything of the german translation so I prefered to read the english version. It must have been hard work to collect all those informations. So: respect for doing this.

Re: Von den Creatures Wiki geschrieben am: 26.03.2005 15:06
Antwort
Wow - it's been a busy month over at the Creatures Wiki! I'm pleased to say that we've had over 60 contributors, 160 people pages, 150 Websites, 125 C1 COBs, 1,250 pages and more than 150,000 words in the wiki database.

So what have we been doing? Well, much of the work has been on steadily improving the pages that we already have. This is a process that never really ends - there is always something else to add! Don has been doing a lot of work in this area, but as Google has finally indexed us we are also getting quite a few people (both old and new) surfing in and contributing the odd edit, which is nice.

However, there have been concerted efforts in many areas. If you've done something big and I've missed it out, my apologies - let us all know below! Without further ado, here's a few highlights:

Gryph has been trying to document the entire official ecology of Creatures 3 and Docking Station. So far 36 separate items are done, with more on the way, complete with pictures, descriptions, and links to both predators and prey for each.

As much as it's fun to look at the obscure past, for new users there are more important questions to answer, like "How can I get my creatures to eat cheese?" and "what on earth is that big green thing?!" Fortunately, furrykef has transferred and updated his Creatures 3/Docking Station guide to one of our sister sites, the Gameinfo Wiki, linking it into the Creatures Wiki so that interested surfers can easily learn more about the games.

Meanwhile, Alien has been busy adding a multitude of C2 and C3/DS breeds. I'm not sure which my favourites are - it's currently a tie between the Giraffen and the Morrigan's Lake Norns, although I think the Season Norns are cute too. We now have a staggering 80 C2 norn breeds, and almost as many for C3/DS - it's a shame there's no world big enough to fit them all!

In related news, the Konnichiwa Norns were released just a month or so ago, and they've already proven quite popular here, although I don't know what I'm going to do with all that bamboo . . .

Some of you may have played a country management game called NationStates . . . but did you know that there were Creatures users on there? Yes, our very own Albia is a region in this great game, although it is currently in decline - perhaps if there are any players here, you could transfer in and clean out the carrot patch?

Frimlin once mentioned a breed idea that unfortunately never came to be: the Cookie Ettins. However, due to the magic of the CC, they have a complete breed story! Officer 1BDI has kindly permitted us to put this story up, as well as a picture of this rare breed. Perhaps now someone would like to make them a reality? I personally think they would look fabulous as either a C2 or C3 breed. There are too few ettins in the world!

Most recently, I've added my very own Creatures Sprite Thumbnail Viewer to the Wiki. As the name suggests, it allows Windows Explorer to show thumbnails of sprite files, just like other picture files. Useful when you're trying to find one out of the 1500 sprite files in your directory! It works for all Creatures games, and for all versios of Windows since 98, so don't hesitate to try it out.

And last, but by no means least, we have been granted a very special favour by the original Creatures 1 musician, Andrew "Barn" Barnabas. During my research I found out that Andrew had gone on to make an album of the music created during his work at Cyberlife; among other things, this included one 11-minute track called Creatures Montage. Naturally, I wanted to hear this track (especially after listening to the teaser samples), but of course the CD it was on sold out years ago. With this in mind, Andrew has been a great sport and agreed to let us host the entire track on the Creatures Wiki. Download it now, and then check out his site - Bob and Barn - for more top-quality game music!

In other good news, Wikicities as a whole is booming. Although we're one of the busiest wikicities, we pale before the recent addition of Memory Alpha, the Star Trek wiki repository - as you can imagine there are a lot more Star Trek geeks around than Creatures fans! Indeed, it's so busy that the Wikicities peope got three new servers to manage the increased load, so now the rather slow response times that had developed in the last month are a thing of the past. As you can see over at Alexa, it's made a difference!

It's definitely all go at the Creatures Wiki, and with all the old websites dug up recently, there's more to be done than ever before . . . so please, join in and help us make it even better!

Re: Von den Creatures Wiki geschrieben am: 26.03.2005 15:12
Antwort
It seems that some of the nice folks at Gameware have been watching, too.

AW: Re: Von den Creatures Wiki geschrieben am: 26.03.2005 20:21
Antwort
Wow! I'm amazed... still amazed!
Thanks for this detailed report on the Wiki! Reminds me to put in some more informations about some breeds that have changed resp. their download site has changed. Maybe you already know that the Kanga and Dog Norns from Studz are available again and the Easter Norns got an "update". Tafgana and me, we even founded the "Pimp My Breed" action to give incomplete breeds a major revamp.
And actually, the Creatures Wiki led me to the idea to look and care for old and a bit "forgotten" breeds. If you have to write an article about them and suddenly realise, they are not available any more or not complete you simply wish to make them available again to the community. Although, it was pretty hard to find Studz, but finally I managed!

And it will take me half a day to check out all the links you put into your post! Errmm.... you must think, dream and speak Wiki by now, I guess!

Re: AW: Re: Von den Creatures Wiki geschrieben am: 26.03.2005 20:42
Antwort
Yes, they speak to me in the night, whispering in my ear . . .

Save us! The warp has stolen us away, but you can still retrieve us from the Internet Archive!

It's just like that.

And yes, I had seen the new breeds, and indeed Studzworld was on a tab for me to add (until I had to save that window in bookmarks, Firefox was going critical with too many open windows). I did think that since you have been doing this you would probably be a better person than me to talk about the breeds, though, as I know nothing about it right now.

Seiten: 3   [ « 1 2 3 » ]      Zurück zur Themenübersicht      Zum Seitenanfang

CREATURES DOCKING STATION | CREATURES FAMILY | CREATURES WIKI | DS HANDBUCH DEUTSCH | GRANDROIDS

Partner:

Albia - a place where you can dream - Alien's Creatures World - Creaturesisland - Generation Norn - Kari's Page - Lunatic World - Mummy's Creatures - The Undeadly Norn - Toa-Nuva's Spieletipps - Zauberalbia

Forum Startseite | Registrieren | Einloggen | Suchen

[ Powered by Jive Forums ]